Saturday, March 21, 2009

First Track Meet

Today SVU had the first track meet of the spring season. It was hosted by Roanoke College, a little less than an hour away from our school. While we were sitting around waiting for our events we nearly died of hypothermia. It was so cold and windy. After a super long time it was finally time for discus. Since this is college it is measured in meters which is extra confusing. I had one decent throw- my second one. It put me at first place for a while until one girl from the next flight beat me by the skin of her teeth. I didn't improve any in finals but our 1st place friend did. She beat me fair and square by a couple feet. It's ok- I've only had one discus practice since High School States in May- and it was Wednesday. Shot-- oh the shot put. I went to weigh mine in, I only had an indoor one since our storage room was locked and nobody had a key, and they were slightly skeptical of me. After reviewing the rule book the officials concluded that it did not specify that i could NOT throw an indoor shot so they said I could. Well it didn't weigh in. Apparently I have been throwing a shot that is 1/2 a pound too lite. So there I was with big expectations for myself- proud of my iimporvement and ready to see if all my hard work had paid off but it was for nothing. I had to borrow another team's shot. It didn't feel THAT much heavier but it didn't go as far as my lighter shot had. I threw 32 feet and some inches (I was hoping for at least 35) and made it into finals. I didn't imporve any there so I walked away slightly discouraged and a little sunburned on my cheeks. It just shows me that I have a lot of room for imporvement. It's alright- first college meet- one 2nd place medal and a mark that qualified for finals... could be worse ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment