Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Christmas in Florida

Let me start by telling you how fun a 14 hour car ride with my parents and younger brother in a cramped mini-suv was NOT. There was little to no extra space and we were practically all over each other. We seemed to manage though and stopped more often and for longer periods of time that I personally would have liked. My dad kept mentioning something about how its hard to sit there and drive for 6 hours straight with just a short break. Ahhh it can't be that bad :) Our family down there is pretty small. There are a few cousins that don't live nearby anymore and my grandma and my mom's two siblings. Yeah it's nice to see them every now and again but it would be nicer to have people who aren't eligible for the senior discount to talk to once in a while. Javier mainly hung out with our cousin Brandon. He is the last remaining teen down there. They spent hours watching The Dark Knight and Jaws. Javi, Dad, Brandon, and Me at Aunt Cathy's house having leftover Christmas dinner. I saw some truck pulling some jet skis on a wagon next to us in the car and decided right then that I wanted to go. One afternoon Dad let me drive around Javi and Brandon. Obviously at seperate times are you kidding- they're huge!! It was a lot of fun. After we got out of the "no wake" zone there was a 3 mile stretch we could ride on as fast as we wanted. I gunned that thing. Javi was the first rider; we had an awesome time. He kept hollering at me how I needed to "stop slamming on the breaks." If you know anything about a jet ski- there are no breaks. Apparently I let go of the throttle too quickly. Whatever. At one point we jumped over a boat's wake so high our butts flew off the seats. Good thing I was holding on because thats all that kept us from flying off- Javi was airbourne. Speaking of flying off- Brandon and I totally fell in. It is easier to steer a jet ski when its going faster. That is easy to do when going straight but turning was a different story. I didn't push the throttle enough and Brandon was leaning too much at one turn and we both fell right into the water. (not good since Jaws had been on just that morning) I was just worried about the jet ski tipping over and having to pay to clear out the motor. Brandon started screaming for help which was totally unnecessary and grabbed onto the side of the jet ski. I quickly swam around the other side to hold it down while he threw himself back on. By then some rescue guy was there and made sure we got started back up ok. My $3 sunglasses stayed on my face just fine but my cousin's nice fishing hat was lost in the wreck. Ironic. Yeah, it was scary but it made the day even more memorable. One afternoon Dad drove Mom and I out to the Boardwalk. Its smaller than most and leads up to a large pier. It was nice... not much to do but look in stores tho. My cousin Joe came down with Summer and their son Chase. He is a cute but very... energetic little boy. He seemed to like me, for the most part. It was amazing to be able to go to the beach over Christmas. That would never happen in VA! It was so warm there- the weather was beautiful. The water was a little colder than we would have liked but I had no objection to laying out and sunning myself. Overall it was an ok trip. The drive makes it hard and the lack of cousins makes it difficult to be as fun as it could be.

1 comment:

  1. maybe we'll go next year. i wish i could have ridden down with you guys....NOT!!

    ReplyDelete