Sunday, June 14, 2009

New Kids on the Block Concert

After my sister won tickets to see RENT from a local radio station the other week I was determined to win something too. I have started entering a few of the online radio show's contests. One day I checked my inbox and an email's subject line read- "You're a winner of two free tickets!" I was about to throw it away thinking it was junk mail, as usual, but I opened it. I'd actually won a pair of tickets to see The New Kids on the Block at the Patriot Center! I'm not too much of a fan of them. In fact I only knew one song going into it. I brought my brother along with me- and good thing. He absolutely loved the opening performance. I had never heard of the group but it was the JABBAWOKEEZ. Apparently they are a group of masked guys who won a dance competition the other year on MTV. Yeah I'm pretty out of the loop. Anyway, Javi was pretty much going bonkers when they came out. Most people were just cheering and clapping- but he was actually screaming out of control and flailing his arms all over the place. He really liked seeing them. It made me glad I'd brought him because I doubt anybody else would have gotten that excited over the show. It took another 45 mintues for them to come out but NKOTB was fun to watch. They are pretty much an older version of the Backstreet Boys or N'SYNC- but they don't quite dance as well. I saw a couple people I knew from high school at the concert including my friends from the volleyball team, Marian and Stephanie. Their mom had won the tickets at at the fair a couple days before and given them to them. Javi and I moved and sat by my friends since there were two open seats a few rows closer than where we were placed. The concert was lots of fun- it didn't really matter that I didn't know the names of the guys in the group or the words to all but one song. I rocked out just as hard as the gay guys behind us and the mass of 40 something year old women trying to re-live their younger years when the group was first popular. Hey- it was free... and it was fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment