Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Whoops

 So, our ward had an activity this past Saturday. It was a chance for everyone to get together. We were asked to bring a dessert or appetizer to share. My mom had sent me this recipe a while back and I'd kept it. It's a brownie cake with sour cream. The topping is a a sour cream and whipped cream topping with vanilla and powdered sugar. The recipe suggested strawberries and kiwi but we liked blueberries better. We got to put the cake on a really cool crystal cake platter we got for the wedding, carefully walked it to the car, drove to church and... arrived at an empty parking lot. Long story short- the event was Friday, not Saturday... we missed it. I was pretty bummed but Travis was good about helping me laugh it off. We ended up having a good night and watched The Social Network- worst movie ever.

 Saturday, before the ward activity fiasco, we decided to try a restaurant called Aroma for our date night. I thought it was going to be an Italian joint from how the sign looked outside. We walked in and to our surprise it was an oriental buffet with ALL YOU CAN EAT SUSHI!! It was all delicious! Usually I'm wary of buffets like that but it was really nice inside. The service was great and the food was awesome. They have a great salad/fruit bar, soft serve ice cream and all the desserts you could want. Travis enjoyed some steak and I enjoyed some noodles and Burbon chicken- among other things. Best part- it was only 9.99!! We will definitely be going back.
Our church has a scripture study program called Institute. They provide optional classes on the various books of the Bible, as well as teachings of the living prophets and The Book of Mormon, Doctrine and Covenants and Pearl of Great Price. It is an opportunity to learn and grow spiritually in a great environment. Institute is one of the major reasons I love SVU. The instructors are great and I have grown a tremendous amount since I have been at SVU as a result of institute. The classes are similar to college courses in that you pick a class and time to go to- most people take one class which meets twice a week for an hour. Certain courses will transfer over to the university for credit which is great!
This Sunday we drove down to SVU for my institute graduation. Each course is 2 credits and 14 credits are required to graduate. You can continue attending institute if you'd like to get higher certificates of achievement. The service was really nice. It was a great night and feel proud in my decision to have attended institute.

Our brothers Javi and Todd and their friend Vihn came down for the weekend. Monday they went to JMU's open house and loved it!! We hope they come back to visit- we enjoyed having them around. We all packed in the car for the hour drive to Buena Vista and Institute graduation. It was nice that they were all able to support me. Thanks guys!

1 comment:

  1. I didn't like the Social Network either. I have no idea why it got so many awards. That brownie looks AMAZING!! Glad to hear that you're enjoying married life :-)

    ReplyDelete