Sunday, October 10, 2010

Anna's Medical Mission trip

Hey everyone!



For a long time, as long as I can remember, I've been planning on going into the medical field. I think I have narrowed my pursuits into being a neonatal nurse. I love kids, especially tiny ones, and this job would be more like fun than work for me. (In theory anyway) When I graduate in May from SVU I will go on to get a second bachelors in nursing at a VA school. As preparation for my career I enjoy attending and volunteering at RAM (Remote Area Medical) trips through my school. They are HUGE events made possible by hundreds of volunteer doctors and medical personnel providing free care to thousands of people who otherwise would not be able to afford it. It is humbling to see the lack these people have and think of all that I have been blessed with. The most recent trip was in Grundy, VA. I helped in the phlebotomy lab (blood). I was nervous at first, I didn't want to hurt anyone, but after some training and a few diet cokes I was ready to get to work. Drawing blood is nerve wracking but I was thankful for the opportunity. As I was warming up to the idea of drawing blood for testing I worked on the other side of the room with urine analysis. It was gross but it all was medicine to me. Testing we did was able to help people determine if they had some sort of illness that they might not have realized they had before. The entire weekend was full of service and gratitude. I have never seen so many doctors who would give of their time and money to help those in need. If you have any background in medicine the RAM organization would love for you to volunteer at any upcoming events!!

No comments:

Post a Comment