Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Yes, Yes, Yes, I'm still alive

So- as you can see I got glasses. Let me back up. I am a member of the Buena Vista chapter of the Lion's Club. It is a global medical and humanitarian service organization. I joined to partially pad my resume honestly, partially because by friend Abby convinced me, and mostly because I wanted the experience. This weekend the group (there were just under 20 of us) traveled in 2 vans to Tennessee. If you think BV is bad this place is a huge culture shock. Doctors including dentists, optomotrists and general health care people came from all over the country from places like Ohio and New York. Lots of dental students too came to offer their help. I worked with one named Jeremy. (no mom I didn't get his number). I spent hours pretending I know what dentistry is all about and being totally clueless- especially concerning the different tools. I saw some pretty nasty mouths. Honestly I wanted to brush my teeth for like 6 hours after seeing these peoples' decayed, disgusting mouths. Saturday I worked in the optical area. I fitted people with sunglasses and even got my own eyes checked. I have 2 stigmatisims and apparently am more blind than I thought so I got a free pair of glasses for myself. I got to pick them out and everything. I like them- I look smart :) Oh ya- and I am totally going to be a nurse now!

No comments:

Post a Comment