Saturday, October 17, 2009

The Mountains and The Ocean

My parents and Javi came down on my Dad's birthday on the 4th. He got slightly shafted since everything closes in BV and Lexington on Sundays. There wasn't much going on in the towns-- at all. I took the fam up to see the view from the Blue Ridge Mountains. Dad enjoyed it- Javi and I did not take too much interest in driving up and down curvy roads but it was for Dad. After going into Lexington, walking up and down endless blocks of closed shops we went back to Macadoos- right where we had first parked the car. There wasn't much action that day but it was nice to spend time with the family. My parents own some property in Marina Del Ray, California. Over my Fall break I flew out to meet up with my dad to help fix up the place a bit. He left early Friday morning. I had classes, drove home from school, and then my mom took me to the airport. It was my first time flying alone so my mom and siblings were kinda freaking out for me. Honestly it was not a big deal at all. Note to self- do not pack two bags full of books, shoes, and other heavy things and not expect to be a sore, sweaty, mess when you get to the airplane. Ya- I decided not to check a bag. It complicates things and frankly I did not want to pay the stupid $20 fee for it so I crammed everything into my backpack (every book I own) and a duffel. It was nice to be able to spend time with my dad but he did put me to work too. I sanded the whole garage door and window sill and painted both as well as painted the gate to the fence. This may not seem like a lot but believe me, it is. As I was sanding the garage door the neighbor freaked out and made my dad go buy me a mask- thats right I preformed my duties looking like Darth Vader. We had a good bit of Chipotle and other Mexican food from like- Tito's tacos and stuff. I got to go to J. Paul Getty's house and museum. There was a whole bunch of old art work and statues. My dad had gone there when he was a kid so it was neat for him. It was a beautiful place. I also got to see UCLA- I used to want to go there so bad. It was like my dream school. The campus is HUGE and really nice. My dad also took me into Beverly Hills and Hollywood where I felt like a darn fool walking around in my every-day clothes. My dad took a bunch of extra time getting me close enough to the HOLLYWOOD sign to get a picture before we went to his Uncle's house. We hung out with my dad's aunt and cousin before heading home. Saturday, after doing some work and hanging out with more family, we went to the Santa Monica Peir and walked around the streets. The musicians were my favorite part. There was a violinist named Josh V... something and he was seriously awesome. Least favorite part- all the homeless people. It made me slightly uneasy but it was good I had my dad there. I am glad my dad had me go along. It was a short trip but it was cool to see the house, my family, and some sights. THANKS DAD!!

No comments:

Post a Comment